Monday, January 18, 2016

Whole Wheat Waffles + Easy Fruit Topping

Hey y'all! It's Monday and we all know Mondays are not a favorite of many people - myself included! But, that is the very reason I'm sharing this recipe today. I mean, who doesn't love waffles? I'm pretty sure a plate of waffles is one of the absolute best ways to start a Monday. :) And this recipe is just easy enough that you can make it on a weekday morning without being pushed for time. 




I loooove waffles. Like seriously, I have a slight obsession with them. Just ask my husband; he'll tell you I mention cravings for waffles multiple times a week! ;) They're just so good. But, I've been trying to eat better lately so I decided to try a recipe that uses whole wheat flour instead of white flour. I was delighted to find this recipe from King Arthur Flour! I love KAF and they typically have great recipes, so I knew this one would taste good despite being so simple. The one thing I would add is a teaspoon of vanilla just because I think vanilla always goes well in a waffle recipe. :)

I think one of the reasons I like waffles so much is because of the almost endless possibilities for toppings. I really love fruit topping on waffles; berries on top of a hot, buttered waffle is just perfection in my mind. This topping is very simple & affordable. And a great way to get the health benefits of berries even in the wintertime. So go ahead and make yourself a batch of these waffles and start your Monday right! ;)




Whole Wheat Waffles

1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tblsp. sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
1/3 cup melted butter

1. Preheat your waffle iron while you prepare the batter.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, & sugar.

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, & butter.

4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until combined. Lumps are good!

5. Cook the waffles as your waffle iron instructs.

6. Top with syrup, berries, whipped cream, chocolate syrup, or whatever you fancy! :)


Warm Berry Topping
(makes 1 serving)

2 tsp. butter
1/2 cup fresh or frozen berries (I use frozen - more bang for your buck!)
cinnamon

1. Melt the 2 tsp. of butter in a saucepan until bubbly.

2. Add the berries and let cook down until thawed through and juicy.

3. Add a sprinkle of cinnamon, mix.

4. Pour over your (buttered) waffles. Bon appetit! :)




*Waffle recipe from King Arthur Flour*


No comments:

Post a Comment