Saturday, September 28, 2013

Greetings,


Welcome to my blog.  This blog has been a thought in mind for many months and finally has come to be.  My mum and best friend were the ones who gave me the idea for a food blog originally.  The more I thought about it, the more I liked it.  I mean, I love food.  Like, really love food.  And I love to write.  So, why not start writing about food?  I think I will enjoy this. And I hope my readers will too.  I'll try to keep the ramblings tolerably short but my mind runs nonstop and writing is where all of those thoughts most often come out. :)  

That Old Oven.  The name of my blog.  Probably the biggest hold-up in me getting this started.  All clever, catchy possible names go into hiding the moment I try and think of a name.  I finally decided on "That Old Oven".  Why?  Because.  The oven I cook in is old.  Very old.  About 50 years old to be exact.  And still works... well, mostly... you have to learn a few tricks to know how to work it just right... add a few steps that they probably don't include in most cookbooks.  Like "Halfway through the biscuits cooking, remove pan from oven and flip all of the biscuits over so that they will cook on both sides".  Or, "Flatten cookies with palm of hand before placing sheet in oven.  If you don't they will stay in little mounds and be burnt on the bottom and gooey inside".  Or, "If the oven fan is rattling too much, give it a good whack. Works like magic".  That is the old oven.  Actually, if you know what the Flair ovens from the 60s looked like then you know what kind of oven I'm working with.

Despite all of that, delicious food still comes out of there.  It amazes me.  But it's also like a challenge.  I watch a cooking show where they're using top-of-the-line ovens and their food comes out perfect and I think "I can do that.  Old oven or not". And when I succeed, it's a victorious moment.  I mean, just take a look at some of the stuff that comes out of it.





Yeah, I like pies.  And that chicken was fabulous by the way.  I'll be sharing that recipe soon.  ;)

Even with all it's quirks it does well.  And here is a girl who has learned to cook all sorts of meals and desserts with That Old Oven. So yes, the name that seemed best for this - That Old Oven.  


6 comments:

  1. Everything looks amazing! I can't wait to see what you do during the Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I will have a lot of holiday dishes coming in November. :)

      Delete
  2. Yay! I am so excited for you, and I cant wait to see what amazing food you will cook for me! I mean for the blog (; and hey! maybe you'll inspire some "microwave lover" like me to actually start learning how to cook <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can test all the food I cook to make sure it turned out right before I post recipes. ;)

      Delete
  3. I agree with Anna-Louise! I can't wait to get my hands on some of these yummy recipes that you have pictured on your FB page over the last year. You make my mouth water often. Now we can see it, then try it out for ourselves. Although we might all need to add a couple more holes to the belts after the fact. So excited for you in this venture!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the pictures I've put up. :) Most, if not all of the recipes from pictures will be on this blog for different posts in the near future. The one bad side effect of cooking - those pesky belts just keep shrinking! lol ;)

      Delete