Monday, February 29, 2016

Barbecue Chicken Pizza

Hey Y'all!  

I hope February has been a good month for my readers. :) It went by in a blink for me! But I'm okay with that because I really want warm weather to get here . . . so long as the rest of the year doesn't go by so fast! :)

Back in January I made a delicious BBQ Chicken Pizza that I posted a photo of on my Facebook page. My plan had been to post the recipe the next week, but, well you know, the best laid plans . . .   Anyway! Over a month later, I have the recipe ready to share with you all. This pizza is so, so easy y'all. You can definitely make this on a weeknight without much hassle at all. And I love that about it. So many times in the past when I've wanted pizza on a weeknight, I have settled for frozen or takeout pizza (not that those are bad! ;) ) simply because I did not have time to make a crust and wait for it to rise and so on and so forth. But now, at last, there is a recipe that can be whipped together in about 30 minutes (not including oven time). Not bad, eh? :) 




The amazing, quick crust recipe I used for this pizza comes from Divas Can Cook. I discovered her YouTube channel a few months ago and y'all, she has so many mouthwatering recipes. I also love her personality - her videos are so fun to watch. I will have the crust recipe typed out below, but will also leave a link to the printable recipe she used. 





As for the toppings, well, I've wanted to try a BBQ chicken pizza for a long time now and on the particular night that I made this, I didn't have any "traditional" pizza toppings on hand. But I did have chicken, bbq sauce, mozzarella cheese, & red onions - it was perfect! I loved these toppings; it was a nice break from the typical marinara sauce/cheese/pepperoni deal. The flavors were perfect and so easy to throw together. Since I had some parsley on hand, I went ahead and added that to the toppings as well to add some color. Of course, there are many other toppings you could add to this bbq pizza such as bacon, green onions, banana peppers, etc. Just have fun with it! :)







Quick Homemade Pizza Crust


1 cup very warm water
2 tsp. sugar, divided
1 packet active dry yeast
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp. salt
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 heaping tsp. Italian seasoning
1 heaping tsp. Parmesan cheese


1. In a small bowl, add 1 tsp. sugar to very warm water. Stir in yeast and allow to sit for 10-15 minutes to allow yeast to proof. When yeast is ready, add the mixture to a large bowl.

2. Stir in flour, salt, remaining sugar, oil, Italian seasoning, and Parmesan cheese. When dough forms, place on a lightly floured surface and knead gently with oiled hands. 

3. Press the dough into a lightly greased 12-inch pizza pan. Keep your hands oiled to soften the dough and make it easier to press out. Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm location for 10 - 30 minutes (30 minutes for a fluffier crust).

4. Preheat oven to 425. Top with sauce and toppings. Bake for 12 minutes or until the crust in the center of the pizza is fluffy and fully cooked.

5. Slice and serve! :)


BBQ Chicken Pizza  *original recipe*


1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded*
1 1/2 cups bbq sauce**
2 tbsp. red onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning***
2 cups mozzarella cheese, freshly shredded
1 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
1 tbsp. olive oil
2 tbsp. grated Parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. chopped parsley for garnish

1. Place the cooked, shredded chicken breast in a bowl & add 3/4 a cup of bbq sauce. Stir to combine.

2. Finely chop red onions & parsley and set aside. Shred mozzarella cheese; set aside.

3. Spread remaining 3/4 cups of bbq sauce over prepared pizza crust. Sprinkle with cheese (the more, the better ;) ). Top with bbq chicken, red onions, & Italian seasoning.

4. In a small bowl, combine butter, oil, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder. Brush on edges of crust. Be generous.

5. Bake for 12 minutes or until crust is fully cooked and fluffy - bottom will be slightly browned & crisp.

6. Garnish with parsley and enjoy! :)






*You can totally substitute canned chicken here and make it even quicker!
**Rough estimate - use more or less as desired
***I also like to use Penzey's Frozen Pizza Seasoning sometimes in place of the Italian seasoning.

Link for printable crust recipe: http://divascancook.com/quick-homemade-pizza-crust-sauce-recipe/



No comments:

Post a Comment