Monday, January 19, 2015

French Toast


Happy 2015!  With the start of the new year, I'm very excited about trying some new recipes and I've got a very tasty one to share today. I absolutely love French toast, but I don't make it very often because I can never get it to turn out too pretty. Practice will make perfect though, so when I had a craving for it this past week I decided to go ahead and make some over the weekend. The recipe I used is so flavorful! I absolutely loved it & immensely enjoyed every bite. The only thing I did differently from the recipe was that I added a splash of vanilla to the egg mixture. You can never go wrong with vanilla in recipes like that! ;) Also,make sure the bread you use is a more rustic bread that is thickly sliced. (I used sourdough bread that I sliced myself) You want the bread to be very thick & even slightly stale so that is doesn't get soggy when dipped in the egg mixture. 

Mine still wasn't so great in the way of looks, but the taste was exceptional! 



So go ahead and save this recipe for the weekend (you can slice the bread & prepare the egg mixture the night before) or maybe treat yourself to a 'breakfast for dinner' tonight. Enjoy & add lots of whipped cream! :)




French Toast

Ingredients:
1 c. half & half
3 large eggs
2 tblsp. honey, warmed in microwave for 20 seconds
1/4 tsp. salt
8 (1/2 inch) slices day old or stale bread *brioche, challah, & sourdough work well*
4 tblsp. butter

1.  Whisk together the half & half, eggs, honey, & salt.  Pour the mixture into a pie pan and set aside.

2.  Preheat overn to 375 degrees. Dip bread into egg mixture & allow to soak for 30 seconds on each side. Then remove to a cooling rack that is sitting on a sheet pan & allow slice to sit for 2 minutes.

3.  Over medium-low heat, melt 1 tblsp. butter in a saute pan. Place 2 slices of bread at a time into the pan & cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes, on each side. Remove slices from the pan and place on oven rack for 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining slices of bread. 

Serve with fruit, jelly, whipped cream, or syrup!

*Recipe from Food Network - Alton Brown*

NOTES:
--If the slices of bread are large (as with the sourdough bread I used) you will need to make a double batch of egg mixture in order to have enough for all 8 slices.









No comments:

Post a Comment